The Goodwood Baseball Club was founded in 1889 and is the oldest baseball club in existence in South Australia and the oldest continuous baseball club in Australia.
Our Mission is: To be recognised as the most successful, family oriented and community spirited club in South Australian baseball.
The Club has won Twenty Division 1 premierships throughout our history recently winning in the 2000, 2003, 2006 & 2013 seasons.
The Indians clubrooms and playing fields, named the GILL LANGLEY SPORTS CENTRE, are located at Mortlock Park, Colonel Light Gardens – our home since 1973. Over this 42-year period our club has developed strong ties with the local community through our Junior, Little League and Senior Programs.
The Indians have a strong membership base of 400 members. This includes 50 Junior playing members, 300 Little League members and 70 Senior players plus their families and friends.
Our Club is proud to be promoted as the “Family Ball Club” as evidenced by the large junior membership and the support from their families.
The Club has strong State and National representation at both Senior and Junior playing levels with a large number involved with the South Australian Baseball Academy (SABA) and the Major League Baseball Academy over many seasons.
We have the only Australian player ever inducted in the Helms Athletics Association Hall of Fame in Mr. Ron Sharpe. We also have two of the first South Australian professional baseball players to venture to the USA, in dual Capps Medallist – John Challinor (Los Angeles Dodgers) and triple Capps Medallist – Darren Fidge (Minnesota Twins). Stefan Welch has followed in their footsteps with a professional career in the Boston Redsox organisation and Dakota Mitchell with the Cincinnati Reds.
The Club also has many hardworking people off the field who strive to ensure that the “Indians Tradition” will continue for many years to come. Goodwood Baseball Club is proud of its history and will continue the “Indians Tradition” by leading this state in baseball.
‘Goodwood – Before the Indians’ is a recollection by William P Holmesby, a life member of the club. His association with the club began in 1931.